Thursday, April 14, 2011

Parallels

I can hear the woodpecker high above in the trees, but can't locate the bird itself. With eyes squinting in the sunlight I scan the tree trunk and limbs that tower over me. I am not successful, and the sound of the rat-a-tat-tat on the wood annoys me because I can't get the photograph I want. The picture is right there, but I just can't put it all together.

Writing can be like that sometimes.

Going to the picture is not always the best way; another option is waiting for the picture to come to you. It's often easier to sit quietly and scan the area for what is already there that hasn't been noticed. There's a bee buzzing above the flowering purple azalea. It's a bee that I could have easily missed if I was on the move. Stop, look, take it in...there's always something there worth putting together...it just takes time for it to gel.

Just like writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment