Thursday, April 5, 2012

Just Wondering

Two of my favorite novels are Truman Capote's In Cold Blood and Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.  Strange isn't it?  These books rose to the top of my personal favorites list long before I knew of the odd connection between Lee and Capote.  What an odd connection it is.  Two friends from a southern childhood both go on to be great writers.  They both write the novel of their lifetime around the same time and for the most part don't write much else.

Lee has not written another book, and although Capote did publish after the success of In Cold Blood his words never received the attention of that one book.

What's a writer to think?  Is there just one great book in each of us?  And, if you're lucky enough to find it inside of you--is that all your able to give? 

Maybe I can answer that question if I keep on looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment