Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My Maters

My friend over at Walking the Dog is into the gardening thing.  She has a little plot of land at one of the community gardens in these parts and starts her plants from seeds way before planting time arrives.  It seems like a whole bunch of work to me.  Don't get me wrong, I like gardens, I just don't think I'd like getting in the car to go tend to my plants on a regular basis.  But I do like fresh vegetables- especially those fabulous tomatoes that are a summer staple.

Lucky for me there were a few extra tomato plants this spring, so back in May I walked upstairs to my friend's classroom and chose a plant for my very own.  I picked a variety known as the Mortgage Lifter Tomato.  M.C. Byles of Logan, WV first introduced this tomato in the 1940s after he crossed different tomato varieties for 6 years until he came up with what he deemed to be the best.  The plant should produce a large pink fruit with a delicious, sweet taste. 

I stood outside admiring my growing plant this evening.  I watched the water trickle out of the gray metal watering can and fall upon the growing green leaves.  Two small green tomatoes have started to take shape meaning that I must be doing something right. 

The final results won't be ready for another month or so.  In the meantime I'm watering and waiting patiently for the first fabulous slice of summer.

1 comment: