Wednesday, June 10, 2020

X is for an X-tra Special Day!

My mom turned 85 today. I've seen her a few times since the quarantine started and don't worry too much about sending sickness her way. She lives with my immunocompromised sister so I know everyone up in Bel Air is on their best game in the daily fight against Covid-19.

So, this morning, right after I wrapped up my last online conference of the school year I jumped in my car and head 90 miles north to get in on the celebration. I was not a surprise guest- I was more of a decoy. Both of my parents have taken to sleeping late...real late...like past noon. My sister and I knew if we didn't tell them I was coming up for the afternoon they could still be asleep when the bigger surprise arrived.

The real surprise was the arrival of my two older brothers from Upstate New York. They drove separately because older brother insisted they'd have to wear masks in the car and younger brother said no way- he couldn't deal with that for the 4.5-hour drive. The boys have been following strict quarantine guidelines with each of them looking out for their own family members at risk.

So, there we were- the original 6- enjoying an afternoon of chatter, grilled foods, and ice cream cake.

My mom seemed pleased to have us all together and my dad, the romantic of the couple, was obviously touched.

After my mom went inside my dad told us about the gift he had presented her with earlier that day.

"I gave her the letter she wrote to me just three weeks after we started dating," he said.

"Wow!" my sister replied, "You know where that is?"

"Of course he does!" I chimed in. "He's the romantic in the relationship."

Three hours after everyone arrived we all started to make the motions for leaving. My brothers had a long drive ahead of them. I checked the traffic for my own drive and hung around for another hour or so waiting for the roads to clear up a bit before heading south again.

Life Lesson: Family time shouldn't be taken for granted.

2 comments:

  1. That’s so wonderful your family could be together for such an important milestone. Happy birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete