Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Catching Up on November

It's been a month since my faithful readers (all 3 or 4 of them) have heard from me. I'm sure since my last post was all about the excitement of NaNoWriMo you've been wondering what sort of award-winning first novel I've been working on. Wouldn't that be a great fairytale ending? Can't you see the headlines? "Unknown blogger writes of NaNoWriMo and disappears...30 days later she resurfaces with what is sure to be the next great American novel!"

Yeah, that didn't happen. And I'm okay with that. Some other good things did happen though. The writing club at school turned out to be a lot of fun and we did have one student who produced over 25,000 words. We met last Thursday to share our work and she came in with a big smile on her face, clearly proud of her accomplishments. I was proud of her as well...and, of course, just a little jealous.

Anyway, most in the group were able to share a little writing and what I liked most about that experience was the discussion that followed. Middle school students, at least the ones in the writing club, have no problem being honest. Anything that didn't make sense was immediately identified, as were phrases and words appreciated by the group.

In the end everyone left the meeting feeling like a successful writer, even those who churned out a measly 309 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment