Saturday, March 13, 2021

From Norwalk to Inisheer

Driving through Connecticut I am struck by blue skies and bare trees. The trees in my hometown have a hint of spring, but up in New England spring is still hiding its first peeks. Today I was thankful for that. You see, the bare trees and bright skies created a sort of spotlight on the stone walls that seem to snake everywhere in the area.

Of course, it's pretty much impossible to see a stone wall in New England without thinking of Robert Frost.  I did, while driving along, try to remember what I knew of Frost's poem "Mending Wall" but all I could really think about was the stone walls I saw on the island of Innishire in Ireland. 

The walls I saw years ago in Ireland were built by landowners as they removed the stones from their farmland. Each farmer used those stones to create a pattern of their own. These patterned walls became property lines and a way to tell one farm from the next. Standing at the base of O'Brien's Castle one can see stone walls in every direction.

I really do love a good stone wall.



4 comments:

  1. I live in Connecticut and enjoyed your slice. It sure is interesting to see where your mind wanders when taking a lengthy car ride! Yes, we have lots! It is interesting though how you compare them to what you saw in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really can’t beat a good stone wall. It sounds like you had a nice little getaway this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the prettiest description of a wall that I've read in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've written a lovely counterclaim to Frost's poem!

    ReplyDelete