Friday, April 12, 2013

Problem Not Solved

One of my students showed up during lunch to report that the sandwich in his lunch, which was supposed to be his leftover sandwich from a trip to Quiznos yesterday, was not right.  Somehow he ended up with his mother's leftover sandwich.  There were four of us sitting in our team area at the time so it didn't take long for two to chime in with a solution the problem.

For most kids a solution like buying lunch would work out fine.  Many kids would have simply eaten the sandwich in the bag without a thought.  Yes, but this particular student isn't like most other kids.  He has Asperger's Syndrome so he's not so good with the unexpected. 

At this point in the year I've come to realize that reasoning with him doesn't work- no matter what the problem is that arises there is no satisfactory solution except to not have the problem in the first place.

After some back and forth between student and teachers the sandwich problem remained unsolved.  He left frustrated, so much so that he yelled Sh*t! as he stomped away.

Later I saw him for English class.  When I handed him the quiz that was scheduled for today he became agitated. 

"Dang it, I didn't study!"

I started to say something, but stopped short when I recalled our earlier discussion.

"Just take your time and do your best." I replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment