Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rereading

A student of mine was carrying around Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay a few weeks ago. I had just read it over Spring Break so I jokingly asked him if he wanted me to tell him how it ends.

A second student, who was standing nearby, piped in immediately.

"Oh, he's read that series like three times. He just keeps reading it over and over again."

What a gift it is to find a book that you want to read over and over again. I've certainly found myself so immersed in a story that I didn't want it to end. I felt that way about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. I was enchanted with the characters from the start and even though I rushed through the first half of the book I started slowing down as I got closer to the end. I was so taken with the people and their story that I didn't want to say goodbye. I haven't reread it but have a feeling I will before long.

East of Eden is the one book I reread every five years or so. In fact, a friend was just telling me that she had not read it before so we decided we would both read it and meet up again to talk about when we are through. She had recently read The Good Earth at my suggestion and loved it.

The ring of my cell phone at 7:00 am this morning surprised me. What didn't surprise me was the way my friend was gushing about the book.

"Oh my god! Thank you, for East of Eden! I've only read a few pages and already I'm taken with the writing."

"Yeah," I replied. "That Steinbeck is quite a writer, isn't he?"

5 comments:

  1. I love it when you can find a book that grabs you and won't let you go. I will have to check out The Guernsy Literary and Potato Peel Society. The title is definately intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society & read it with my book group. We all wanted to go there together! My favorite re-read: Travels With Charley, by Steinbeck! And I do re-read My Antonia, but not as often. Old friends. I will try East of Eden. funny how I love Steinbeck, but haven't read that one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I liked reading books over, I'll read poetry over and over so why not a book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. With my fading memory, I can easily read books more than once. It's like new each time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I think of it, I haven't reread a book for a while. You have inspired me to go back to some old favorites.

    ReplyDelete