Sunday, June 7, 2020

W is for Wheels on a Gravel Road

The C&O Canal towpath is one of my favorite biking destinations in the DC area. During the hot, summer months the trees along the path provide shade. Once autumn rolls around those same trees show off some spectacular colors that often reflect in the still waters of the canal.

Whenever I go for a ride I can count on seeing a variety of animals. It's common to see Great Blue Herons standing still as they prepare to strike for food. The turtles are always out to great me as well- usually stretched out on a log with one leg lifted as they warm up in the sunlight. Every once in a while, I'll even catch glimpse of a deer or two. Today I was greeted by a snake- not exactly my favorite but I forgot about that once I saw a Bluebird flutter through the trees ahead of me.

I've spent many a weekend biking along the canal. A few years ago, I was surprised to run into a good friend there. She was completely unexpected as she lives about an hour away from where we met up.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, "What are you doing at my church?"

I replayed that conversation today as I peddled along considering the beauty and peacefulness of the ride. The ride provided a great deal of space and time to consider the last few months and the last few weeks. It's been a stressful time, one full of emotional ups and downs. Fortunately, there's something about that ride, about that setting that recenters me. And so I pumped my legs, looking around at all there was to see, listening to my fat bike tires roll along the gravel path, feeling my leg muscles working all while the whole of me felt so much better.

Life Lesson: Remember to enjoy the ride.

1 comment:

  1. I can hear those tires roll along the gravel as you pedal through your church.

    ReplyDelete