Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Play A Song For Me

I took guitar lessons a few years back. It was one of those things I'd wanted to do since I was about 12. At the age of 12 I was sure I could be one of those people that used music to tell their story. It was, after all, the late 1970s-most of the music playing those days was heavy on acoustic guitar. I wanted to play the Beatles, James Taylor and The Eagles. I was sure I could sing like Carole King. I just needed a guitar and a few lessons to prove it.

I can't remember why I never took lessons. I know I asked, it just never happened. And then Saturday Night Fever came out in the theaters. Suddenly music was all about disco, the guitarists of the early 70s faded in popularity...my dreams faded with them.

Twenty-four years later I walked into the local music store to realize my 12 year-old dream. It turns out I wasn't going to be telling my story through music, but I'm glad I tried just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment