Monday, January 3, 2011

A Tired Start

As usual it was a quiet Monday in the classroom. I counted on that. Most Mondays are pretty quiet anyway, but throw in an 11-day vacation and what you get is a silent roar of non-enthusiasm.

What I didn't count on was the number of kids who were out today. There was at least one student missing from each class period. My fifth period class took the record with 3 absentees...until Josh walked in about 15 minutes late.

"Hey, class started 15 minutes ago. Where've ya been?" I asked.

"Uh, I was asleep." he replied.

"Asleep?" I questioned. "Where were you?"

"At home," came the reply.

"Wow, must be nice." I joked. Well, sort of, I joked.

I looked out at the class and described my utter surprise to find out it's dark at 6:50 AM. It's been 11 days since I stepped outside at such an early hour. They nodded their heads in exhausted agreement and we pushed on with the lesson at hand.

1 comment: