Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Tough Day

I got a note from a parent today. Well note probably isn't the best word to use since that would lead one to believe that it was shorter type of missive. Short it was not. It was about 5 pages long, written by hand and filled with anger and frustration. In this case the anger and frustration were directed at me and a few other teachers on my team.

Emotionally charged writing is difficult to respond to. Even though I'm sure I did my best to communicate the challenges this particular student has been dealing with as well as my response to the challenges I can't seem to get the parent to understand my concerns. To him, I am the enemy as is the school system I work for. What now? How do I proceed?

I left the letter in my desk. I'll look at it again tomorrow and do my best to look for some common ground that we can stand on so we may proceed toward a solution together. I wish I could say that a resolution is likely, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself of that right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment