Monday, March 9, 2015

Suspicious

I was back in the dentist chair today.  After a two-part root canal it was time to see my regular dentist to get fitted for a permanent crown.  This afternoon I had molds made of my teeth and bite-not fun, but not terrible either.  Dr. G. started with the bottom mold and then moved on to drilling and shaving my tooth.  Fortunately, there was plenty of Novocain in place so even though the sound of the drill hurt my ears my teeth felt nothing. Once the tooth was shaved down to size a mold was made of my upper teeth.  Again, not exactly pleasant.

I have to confess, I'm not sure what to think of my dentist.  She's a new member of my personal medical team, who I found after my wonderful, former dentist retired.  It seems like since I started going to see her about 2 years ago, my dental costs have risen.  There's been a lot of chatter on the Internet about the different ways that dentists may be ripping off their patients.  So every time my new dentist suggests anything, like say, root canal, I'm a tad suspicious.  Okay, anytime anyone suggests anything that I need that costs a lot of money I'm suspicious.


One hour and $500 later (after insurance coverage) I left her office with my new temporary crown wondering what other perils could possible come up in my mouth.

7 comments:

  1. Oh - I know the feeling. I am headed in tomorrow and a bit worried about what they may find. I hope your dentist bills are over for now. I think mine may just be beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dentist...hate the expense...wondering why dental insurance never seems to cover so much ...yet research points to the importance of good oral care as a connection to overall health! Glad you survived! I still haven' t gotten used to the crown that I have...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dentist...hate the expense...wondering why dental insurance never seems to cover so much ...yet research points to the importance of good oral care as a connection to overall health! Glad you survived! I still haven' t gotten used to the crown that I have...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY I agree - it's hard to trust your dentist until you have driven through a few root canals! Hope yours proves to be trustworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEk - This post causes me to shiver in anticipation of my March visit, and then clutch my wallet closer to my side. Keep brushing and flossing my mother says...at least, any tooth that you want to keep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good lord, we're doomed. This hefty out-of-pocket plus monthly insurance combo has me in a tizzy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Newest member of your medical team - THAT made me laugh! (Though there's nothing funny about root canal and a $500 tab.)

    ReplyDelete