Saturday, March 20, 2010

Driving With Granny

One of the things I treasure the most is an audio file stored on my iPod. It is a recorded conversation that my father had with my grandmother ten years before she died. My dad's intent was to get a bit of family history. My grandmother, known as Granny to pretty much everyone, was in her mid 80s at the time and certainly had a great deal of family history to share. She had some good side stories to tell as well.

She was more than happy to tell about my mother's athletic career in high school; how she was a star on the basketball team and how even the star can get benched for three games after being caught smoking by the coach.

Sometimes, when my iPod is set to shuffle I'm surprised to hear Granny's voice come through the speakers. I find it pretty much impossible to power off before Granny's done talking, so I often have to do a little driving around to give her time to tell her stories. The time spent is always worth it. There's nothin' better than driving with Granny.

2 comments:

  1. Mary, you inspired my writing today with your sweet post about your grandmother. Thank you!

    -Carrie F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was Granny talking about today?

    ReplyDelete