Tuesday, March 23, 2010

news not so good

The news is not good. And it goes on and on for a really long time. The local news starts at 4:00 pm around here. At 5:00 there's another hour of local news, followed by a third hour of local news at 6:00pm. The national news comes on at 7:00 and lasts for 30 minutes.

Last night the headlines ranged from the sentencing of a woman recently found guilty of abusing and murdering her adopted children, to the beating of a middle school student in response to a text message she sent. Not really a cheery way to end the day.

When I was younger the local news was 15 minutes long and the national news took up the other 15 minutes to total 30 minutes of program time. After sitting through a pretty depressing few hours of news that seems just about right to me.

3 comments:

  1. But you like the weather, right? Is it going to rain on Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that news can be so depressing at times. I'm sad to say I only watch the morning news for about 10 minutes to see the weather report.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your title...No News...so I read the paper. That way I can pick and choose. I especially like the sentence, "...and the local news starts at 4:00 p.m. around here." The "around here" and the homey feel resonated with me.

    ReplyDelete