Monday, July 12, 2010

From the Pod on 51st St.

Tonight I find myself in the comfort of my 10 x 7 foot room at the Pod Hotel on E. 51st St. in New York. Other than three weeks that I spent sleeping on a train--in the seat, not a bunk car--it's the smallest place I've ever slept in. There's no bathroom in the room, that would be down the hall. There is a set of steel bunk beds and a small sink for water access and brushing. Each bed comes complete with it's own 10 inch flat screen TV, no remote necessary as it is easily manipulated by stretching out one's hand from the comfort of the bed. The best part was the price...a mere $139 with tax per night. The last time I stayed in New York I paid $350 a night, so by staying in the cheaper Pod quarters I am able to stay for two nights instead of one.

Tonight's tourist activity was to head to the "Top of the Rock," the observation deck on the 70th floor of Rockefeller Center. It was a little hazy; but New York still looked great. The expanse of Central Park and all its greenery, framed by the tall buildings that line the perimeter was something to see. So was the Empire State building standing tall with red and white lights lighting up the tippy-top.

Yes, it's pretty darn small here in the pod, but the city outside of my window is big and full of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment