Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mail Call

One of the things I am sorry to see go by the wayside as technology continues to steam ahead is the handwritten letter.

While away at college it was always exciting to find a letter tucked away in my post office box. Junk mail hadn't found me in Southern Maryland so if there was anything showing through the small window of PO Box 268 it was most certainly a letter from a friend or family member.

I got a good deal of mail during the four years I was away at school. However, of all the letters I receive my favorite was the one I received from my grandmother. When I opened the envelope in the post office I found a small piece of paper folded neatly into thirds. Tucked inside was a five-dollar bill.

The letter was short and to the point:

Here's five dollars. Go get yourself a sandwich.
Love,
Granny

Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment