Sunday, May 10, 2020

H is for Home

I'm sure I broke a few travel rules by heading north to my home town. I even picked up my niece in DC so I'd have a partner in crime.

I'm so glad I did.

Not only did I completely surprise my mom and dad- I also took a long drive through the stunning springtime greenery on display in Harford County, Maryland. On Saturday, I drove my parents up over the Conowingo Dam and down through the small town of Port Deposit. My dad told stories of the Naval Training Center that had been in the area-- he knew a few guys that ended up there. We admired the stone of many buildings and later found out that stone from the area know as "Serpentinite' was used to build the Empire State Building in New York.

This morning, my sister, niece and I got up early and drove about an hour north to Strasburg, PA to pick up platters of brunch food that were ordered for Mother's Day brunch. The road was full of rolling hills, farms, and Amish wagons--offering up quite the scenic treat. The food was a delicious as the drive was stunning.

After brunch, a few of us headed to a local state park for a quick hike in the woods. We took our time--stopping along the way for pictures--and enjoyed the green canopy of trees that sheltered our path.

By 5:00 pm it was time to head back to Virginia. As my niece and I discussed the high points of the weekend we agreed on one thing- it all seemed very normal- a big deal in some very non-normal times.

Life Lesson-- It's true...there's no place like home.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I'm glad you could do that.

    ReplyDelete