Saturday, May 2, 2020

B is for Bike

When I was younger my bikes were something that might, if you were really lucky, be found under the Christmas tree.  I can only imagine what my parents went through the night before- after four kids were tucked in bed.  Back then bicycles were something that often had to be assembled.  It's no wonder my parents were so tired on Christmas day.

I've had a bike ever since I can remember.  I was about six or so when I finally said goodbye to my training wheels and have been enjoying the fun of bike riding ever since.  In elementary school, there were fancy bikes with big banana seats and even larger u-shaped handlebars.  It was a great bike for zipping around the neighborhood- especially because there was plenty of space to give friends a ride if necessary.

Then came the 3-speed.  I had an old 3-speed in middle school which served me well until I got my first 10-speed.  I was happy to have that 10-speed on hot summer days when I would ride my bike to the other side of town to see friends.  Before I got my driver's license my bike was my ticket to freedom- a way to see friends in the rural area I lived in.

I took a break from my bike once I was able to drive but made sure to pack my yellow 10-speed when I set off for college.  That bike made late-night runs to the snack bar and beer runs to the package store about 3 miles away.

Nowadays, my bike is a source of relaxation.  Nothing relaxes me like a long ride along the canal path from DC to Maryland. Recently, I've had to curb my canal path rides due to the crowds and the risk of contracting a disease so it's been over a month since I've saddled up.

Blue skies were in abundance today and with temperatures in the low 70s, I couldn't resist getting on the bike.  I kept my ride to neighborhood streets to avoid the crowds.  It wasn't a long ride, but it was a relaxing one-like a long walk with an old friend.

Life Lesson: Comfort comes in all forms.

1 comment:

  1. I love all the hats your bikes have worn over time: friend taxis, freedom, beer/snack fetchers and relaxation. Nice memoir.

    ReplyDelete