Thursday, May 14, 2020

K is for King Me

Checkers is one of those kids game that I played religiously a very long time but have hardly any recollection of anymore. I'm pretty sure it was my granny who taught me how to play but it's also possible that it was my great aunt.  Both women taught me a great deal from Checkers to Jacks and an array of card games.

At some point, my dad introduced me to the game of Chess, and Checkers seemed like a little kids game that I had outgrown.

As I said, I don't remember that much about the game but I do remember the way the pieces fit neatly on top of one another.  I remember the sound of the piece sliding along the gameboard. In the summer, we would play on the screened porch at my grandmother's house so it's easy to hear the crickets and the tap of the screen door shutting along with my grandmother saying, "King me!"-with a smile on her face.

Life Lesson- Memories are made up of many different layers.


1 comment: