Friday, April 30, 2010

Nature's Sounds

I spent about 40 minutes cleaning up the back patio today. Even though my allergist would have advised me to stay inside I couldn't help but take the time to clean up my backyard sanctuary. There were dead limbs to cut down and some weeds to pull. However most of the time was spent behind a push broom, guiding it along the brick to push away the allergen infested tree droppings.

Once the space was clear I sat down, not so much to admire my work, but to admire the live 3-D nature show that was playing before me in full HD stereo. Individual sounds included the fervent chirping of cardinals as they called to their mates over the rustling of bamboo stalks rubbing together in the gentle breeze. Doves cooed on the oak limbs as they sat in pairs and preened their feathers. In the distance I could hear the roar of traffic as commuters made they way home along the interstate. Squirrels chattered while jumping from tree to tree as the train hummed along a distant rail. It's fun to sit and focus on the individual sounds, but really, the best part was when I stopped listening for the individual parts and instead listened to the full symphony that man and nature put together for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment