Monday, April 5, 2010

Tears and Tummy Aches

The little voice to my left interrupted my quick nap.


"It's just that...that I feel like I might throw up." he said.


The woman sitting across from me wasn't his mother, but she was somebody's mother, so she knew exactly what to do. "Where's his mom?" she asked the young girl sitting next to our sickly young man.

The boy reacted quickly; in less than a second he was out of his seat and tugging on his mom's sweater in earnest, trying to get her attention as she leafed through a People magazine.


"Mom, I think I might just throw up,” he repeated.


She bent down to look into his face, "Is that because you're a little nervous?"


He was quickly ushered through the very door that he was nervous about, the door that leads to the shot room, and rushed down the hall to the bathroom.


"It's his first time," his sister explained.


Mom number 1 understood, "Oh, that can be a little scary."


"Especially, if you have to wait so long," I chimed in.


We all nodded in agreement.

A father led another young man into the shot room. His whimper began as soon as he saw the needle sitting on the silver tray. Dad picked him up and hugged him close as two shots were administered, one in each arm. With each shot he let out a quick, fearful cry. It was over quickly and he walked back quietly to his Highlights magazine.


"That would have definitely, made him throw up," I thought.


Another Monday at the allergist’s office.




No comments:

Post a Comment