Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Very Fat Cat

My very fat cat weighs somewhere around 18 pounds. He missed the lesson that instructed cats to be aloof and distant. As I write tonight he is straddling my stomach, grooming the fine hairs on my arm. Apparently my level of cleanliness is not up to his standards.

He seems to genuinely like me. I've had a two other cats in my lifetime; neither of them would have dared to show the admiration that Scout does.

I was out of town this past weekend. Upon my return I let the cat outside for a little fresh air and relaxed on the couch with the Sunday paper. Ten minutes later, I heard the familiar sound of the screen door opening. Scout is quite handy with the door, a quarter inch opening is all he needs to slide a paw through and push the screen to the right allowing him to get back inside when he wants.

I didn't think much of the door opening, but I was surprised and slightly freaked out by the small, perhaps dead, chipmunk he brought me. Fortunately the chipmunk was only playing dead. My cat may be quite the hunter outside, but he's no killer. I was able to gather the stunned striped creature into a bowl and place him back outside under the cover of some bushes.

I came back in and congratulated Scout on his hunting success. I know the chipmunk was a special gift for me so I thanked him and then headed to the kitchen sink to wash my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment