Sunday, June 13, 2010

Star Gazing

I spent the weekend with friends I met 30 years ago when I arrived on the campus of St. Mary's College of Maryland. It's become an annual tradition for us all to reunite for alumni weekend. There was, of course, the requisite reminiscing, seafood galore, laughter and very little sleep.

One of the highlights of the weekend was laying down on the cool grass in the church graveyard. The sky above was filled with more stars than I've seen in a long time. The fireflies blinked in the dark silhouettes of the nearby headstones. Five of us lay there last night sharing what we remembered from Astronomy class. The same graveyard was a common after-dinner walk way back when. Its location upon a hill overlooking the St. Mary's River made it a perfect spot for watching the always-remarkable sunsets. I watched the stars twinkle above, hoping to see a falling meteor, content to be back in such a beautiful place that offers so many wonderful memories.

2 comments:

  1. Uh, there were 5 of us, but since I didn't take astronomy, I kept my mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! The blog has been edited to include all my groovy friends.

    ReplyDelete