Friday, March 23, 2012

Snarky Much?

A friend of mine often reminds me of my own "snarkiness."  Yes, I'm pretty sarcastic.  But really, I can't help it--the character trait is in my DNA.  I don't think it comes from my dad's side of the family, really that side is a pretty sedate bunch.  Sure, they can crack a joke as well as anyone but if I had to pinpoint the origin of this trait I'd say it comes from my mother's side.  

Maybe there are people out there that see this as a negative trait. I don't.  I see it as a gift a quick-wittedness.  My mom is rather quick-witted, but really it was my grandmother that did it best.  In fact, many of the things I remember her saying, often in response to my own snarky comment, have their own label.  I call them "Grannyisms."

Years ago the two of us were talking in the kitchen after my sister's wedding.  I was giving her a hard time and she was giving it right back.  Finally I could see she had me. Her wit, even at her age, was quicker than mine that day.

"Granny," I laughed, "you are a piece of work."

Without a thought she responded, "Oh, I had to be."


Touché.

1 comment:

  1. What a great story from your Granny. Cherish it. I wish I would have talked to my Baba more.

    ReplyDelete