Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Different Kind of February Day

The temperature shot up to near 70 in the nation's capital today.  So like many others I headed to the C & O Canal path that runs from Georgetown to Cumberland, Maryland.  I slipped onto the sandy byway at Lock 10 near Cabin John and enjoyed the sights all the way up to Great Falls.  There were a few other cyclists out, but today the path really belonged to the hikers.  

Families, friends and their dogs were out in force.  With the trees bare of all leaves the views along the way were quite different from what I usually see along the way in the spring, summer and fall months.  A couple of my favorite animals made a showing.   I spied a stately heron surveying the canal from the perch of an oak tree.  A redheaded woodpecker scurried up the bark of another tree determined to escape my camera lens.  There were a few ducks paddling about as they enjoyed the weather along with the rest of us out for the day.


Yeah, it was damn nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment