Monday, February 2, 2015

Getting to Know You

I recently had a visit with a friend who had just adopted an older cat.  This particular friend is going through chemotherapy and radiation treatments.   She thought a little pet therapy would make the time spent napping off the effects of those drugs easier.  I strongly supported her decision, as I know from personal experience there is nothing like the purr of a soft feline to make a sick day on the couch a bit more tolerable.

This friend of mine, she's more of a dog person- so her understanding of cats and their odd little ways was limited.

"I think I'm going to have to take her to the vet," she started.  "She sleeps all the time and isn't eating much other than the treats I give her."

I laughed and then went on to explain that cats sleep an average of 16 hours a day.  As they get older they sleep even more.  I'd say my own 14 year-old cat sleeps about 21 or 22 hours a day.  Food? Yeah, I think that's a control thing.  Anyone who's had a cat knows the one who is really in charge is walking around on 4 legs while the 2-legged human tries to do whatever they can to make their feline friend happy.

After three weeks together Kathy and her furry friend, Matilda Louise, have settled in.  Matilda sleeps away the day and Kathy has found a food she likes.  When Kathy naps under her soft tan blanket on the couch she can depend on her new friend to be purring away by her side.  It seems they were made for each other; it just took a bit of time to get to know one another.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Kathy found someone to nap with! (And I'm glad to see you back at work on Scattered Thoughts.)

    ReplyDelete