Tuesday, March 3, 2020

A Friendly Encounter

"I didn't do it."

The voice, which came out of seemingly nowhere, was loud enough to break the spinning of thoughts that were rattling through my brain.

I had made a quick stop at the gas station after a three-hour meeting.  According to my car, I could drive another 22 miles before I ran out of gas but I decided not to recreate a famous scene out of Seinfeld and pull in before meeting my colleagues for lunch.

As I watched the numbers on the pump continue to climb I took a mental inventory of what the rest of my day had in store for me.  I was just about ready to create my virtual grocery list when I heard the voice.

Looking up, I saw a gray-haired older man at the pump across from me.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"Whatever you think I did, I didn't do it," he replied.

Obviously, I had a bit of a jokester on my hand.

I smiled, "I'm sure whatever it was, I did it."

"Are you Catholic?" he asked.

I laughed, "You got it! There's a lot of guilt to go around thanks to all that Catholic schooling."

He smiled as I turned to climb back in my car.

"Have a great day!" he called.

"And to you as well," I responded.

I smiled and kept that smile on my face for the rest of the day.

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I love a good Seinfeld reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's some nice gas station banter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great how a friendly stranger can change the direction of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was kind of nice of that guy to make you present, and it sounds like it was just what you needed on a day like today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what look on your face caused him to say that. What fun. I, too, love your description of the interaction you had.

    ReplyDelete