Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Flying in the Breeze

I did not get the "good hair" gene.  My head is draped in fine hair with a mind of its own.  There are a few things I've learned about dealing with this hair of mine.  First, finding a good hairstylist is essential.  Second, those perms I had in the late 70s and early 80s were a terrible, terrible idea.

The perm was most likely my mother's idea. That's been her move for dealing with her fine hair all her life.  Remember, it's okay to not always listen to your mother.  Times change and hairstyles do too.

I'm fortunate to have a hairstylist I love. I met Octavia on a whim when I showed up at my local Hair Cuttery a few years ago.  Not only did she do a great job on my coloring needs, but she also listened and guided me to a haircut that I every once in a while actually gets a compliment. 

The last time I saw Octavia was in mid-February. I had come in with a hair plan. Perhaps some of you have seen the cute little layered look that Reese Witherspoon pulls off in the movie, "Sweet Home Alabama."  Her blonde locks are cut in long layers.

"Now, of course, I know I'm not going to look like her," I started, "but what about the cut? Can I pull that off."

Octavia stood back and looked at my head. She grabbed a chunk of hair and let it fall through her fingers.

"There's not enough to quite do it yet, but we can get there."

We hatched our hair plan. 

Obviously, that hair plan didn't include a global pandemic and closing down Octavia's now-solo hair business. But here we are- two months since my last hair appointment and a good 10 weeks until my next possible appointment.

Yup, it's going to get "hairy" around here.

2 comments:

  1. And you won’t be alone! I’ve been begging my kids to let me have a go, but no luck. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your dialogue with Octavia, Mary. It captured your partnership perfectly.

    ReplyDelete