Monday, March 16, 2020

Dancing With Myself

Flipping through the program I received upon entering the small church, I noted the usual fare for a funeral mass.  There was "Amazing Grace" and an old favorite, "How Great Thou Art."  And then there was one I would have never expected--"Take On Me".

Younger folks may not be aware of the pop song made famous by the Norweigan band, A-ha, in 1984.  1984 was prime MTV viewing time- the MTV that actually showed music videos 24 hours a day.  A-ha's cartoon sketch video was memorable and in high rotation on the cable channel.

Even with all its popularity, I don't think I'd ever consider it funeral music. 

My good friend Robin found a connection between the lyrics and the Alzheimer's her stepmother, Bronwen, suffered from for years before she died last month.  Her solo slowed the song down a bit making it easier to rethink the meaning of the words.

"...Today's another day to find you...
I'll be coming for your love okay?...
...so needless to say
I'm odds and ends
But I'll be stumbling away
Slowly learning that life Is okay
Say after me
It's no better to be safe than sorry

Take on me(take on me)
Take on me(take on me)
I'll be gone
In a day or two"

The original version came on tonight while I was cooking up dinner in the kitchen.  Before I knew it I was dancing from the kitchen, through the living room and dining room with my spatula-microphone in hand.  Smiling, I belted out the lyrics and thought of Bronwen.  I have a clear memory of her from a few summers ago- a time when the disease was new- we were enjoying a Fleetwood Mac cover band and I watched as Bronwen got up from her seat, making her way to the front of the crowd so she could dance.  She twirled and glided to the rhythm of the music.  Apparently, Bronwen loved dancing and Fleetwood Mac.

If she were here tonight I bet she would have danced right along with me.

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to friends that obviously have great taste in music. What a lovely memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to find the joy in this very strange day and let loose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of a better way to remember someone you've lost. I love the image of you belting out a song with "my spatula-microphone in hand."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me laugh out loud! I’d that wrong? No, like the dancing it’s just another way to embrace life. Terrific writing, Mary.

    ReplyDelete