Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Extra Credit

The best advice I ever got was from my mom. It was simple. "Mary," she said, "when it comes to bringing stuff for a party, I mean if ever there's a sign-up sheet at school for anything, just sign up for the napkins, or plates, or something that doesn't take much time."


My mother had imparted that advice years before I was a high school Senior trying to survive Trig. In the angst of a failing moment I forgot my mother's advice when Sister Rita Dolerine offered extra credit to anyone who would bake a cake for the cake booth she was running at the annual Spring Fair. I also forgot that cooking doesn't come naturally to me.

"I can sister!" I called out in desperation. I was willing to do just about anything to raise my C to a B and saw this as my chance.


I came home with the news that I was going to bake a cake for math. It wasn't gonna be any box cake either. I was gonna bake this cake from scratch.
I don't bake. I don't follow directions well but that's mostly because I'm not much into precision.


At the Spring Fair my cake sat apart from all the others. It was lopsided, it was ugly and in the end it went unsold.
I should have asked if I could bring napkins.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! What great advice from your mom. It's neat how this simple slice from your life reveals much about you. My favorite line is: "I don't follow directions well, but that's mostly because I'm not much into precision." I found myself smiling as I read it. So glad you've become a Slicer -- this looks like a great start to a nifty blog. :)
    Happy writing, Ruth

    ReplyDelete