Monday, March 8, 2010

Running with the Mind

Blue skies, bright sun and a gentle breeze with just a splash of chilly; it seemed like the perfect recipe for a run. Too bad my body didn’t feel the same way.


I wouldn’t really call myself a runner. Jogger is probably a more accurate description but since runner sounds a little more athletic I guess that’s the term I’ll go with. I’ve been running off and on for 30 years now and I love it when my body is with me. Those are the days when my legs glide across the pavement and my heart and lungs work together effortlessly. I felt that way just last week. It was a damp and dreary day. I laced up my shoes and threw on my favorite sweatshirt. Step one felt great, step two felt better and off I went down the street with a smile on my face.


Today was a little different. The weather was perfect, so it seemed to me the run would be the same. Step one felt awkward. Step two felt like I should stop and go back home. Today wasn’t about the legs and the heart and the lungs. Today was all about mind over matter; getting my mind to convince my legs to keep pumping no matter how much they didn’t want to.


The mind won out in the end. As I walked toward the front door I took in the blue sky and raised my head toward the sun. I smiled, happy to have stuck it out.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome--even after years of running, there are always awkward days. This is perfect weather for it. I'm living vicariously through your description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I resonated with your post. Most of my days are mind-over-matter days when it comes to running! Luckily, my mind usually kicks the matter's butt, and I make it... I am also much more of a jogger than a runner, but agree completely that it feels much better to call myself a runner. :)

    ReplyDelete