Saturday, March 13, 2010

Safeway Psychology 101

I wasn't paying much attention to what was happening at the beginning of the grocery store line. With two people ahead of me I figured I had a bit of a wait so I checked out the magazine headlines. Poor Katie Holmes, she's being controlled by that darn husband of hers, something about Scientology but I can't really remember the specifics because I was quickly distracted by the special edition of Beach Homes. While checking out the white furniture and blue sky on the magazine's cover I heard the women ahead of me grumble that the bags that separated the orders had been moved, "that's why there's a problem."

My attention switched to the candy racks as I considered throwing a bag of Peanut M&Ms on the belt. The small bag was a dollar and the larger one was $1.29. I recalled the last time I spent the $1.29 and my disappointment with the number of M&Ms in the bag and decided against the added cost.

By the time I made it to the front of line the grumbler ahead of me was slowly collecting her bags. I smiled at Gayle, the cashier, and waited for the aisle to clear.
Gayle shook her head slightly and began, "You know people should just realize that it takes a lot more energy to be cranky."

I've witnessed a good deal of open hostility toward cashiers in my travels and I have to say I agree with Gayle. Yes, there have certainly been times when I've been cranky with cashiers and the like, but my actions were a result of my own impatience. The ability to remain patient is something I've made a conscience decision to work on over the last five years or so.

In our five minute checkout conversation Gayle and I came to a few conclusions regarding people's reasons for being cranky. They're just not happy people, we decided.

Another Saturday, with a little bit of grocery store psychology thrown in.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you. There's just no point to grumbling at strangers. Feeling cranky? Making the cashier cranky, too, sure isn't going to help anyone.

    And thanks for the tip about the large size of M&Ms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed how your story (and the grocery line) moved along. Lots of details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you nicknamed her the grumbler. I tend to nickname people things, especially at the grocery store, in my own head. It helps to pass the time, without causing a commotion, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. but sometimes you have to grumble.
    Like when:
    The cashier is checking you out and she is on her cell phone.

    The person in front of you has not got enough money and they start removing (already checked items)one at a time.

    When there are 10 people on line and only one of the 5 registers open.

    ReplyDelete