Sunday, April 18, 2010

Getting My Wish

Cecilia Llewellyn had blue ones and I thought they were just about the coolest thing I'd ever seen. We were in the same third grade class, just as we'd been in the same first and second grade class. She was a blonde and not only did I think she had the best name I'd ever heard, certainly much better than mine; she also had those fantastic blue-rimmed glasses. I had brown hair, a mundane name, and no glasses at all.

We were friends though and she probably never knew how much I wished I had her hair and her glasses. The frames curved up a bit on the side closest to her temples. They weren't quite the cat-eye frames, but they were close.

So, way back then I regretted being born with perfect vision. Today I feel differently. As is often the case, as the years go by the wayside so does ones vision. It's called Presbyopia. It took forty years, but I finally got my wish.

I don't like wearing glasses. It's inconvenient. I'm somewhat new to the world of vision aids, so I don't always have my glasses when I need then. I often have to find the reading glasses in a store just so I can borrow them long enough to read the small print on things. I actually walk around saying things like, "oh, I can't see that without my glasses." I have glasses everywhere in my house. There are usually two pair within reach of the couch. There's another pair upstairs on my nightstand and I have a prescription pair with progressive lenses that I wear for the duration of my workday.

There are glasses all over the place and yet, not one pair is as cool as those specs that Cecilia Llewellyn had in third grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment