Saturday, April 6, 2013

Getting Art

My first experience with performance art came in college when I entered the arts building on campus to find a gal sitting, rather conspicuously, in the center of the building "watching" a cardboard replica of a television set.  I stared for a while and then walked away sort of shaking my head.  Yeah, I didn't get it.

I love people watching.  I can be completely entertained by the comings and goings of people in public.  I love airports simply for watching the way people are greeted as they meet up with family members who've been waiting to see them.  Maybe I'm sort of a sap, but I love a good emotional reunion.

Today while catching up on a few blogs I found out about a recent reunion of a pair of former performance artists, Marina Abramovic and Ulay.  They worked as a performance art team for some years until they came to the realization that it was time to say goodbye.  They ended their artistic partnership by walking the length of the Great Wall of China-each from a different direction.  When they met up with one another they hugged and parted ways.  The two artists didn't see each other again until 2010.  Marina Abramovic was performing a piece at The Museum of Modern Art. 

It's a great story and a powerful reunion that you can see here.  I did read somewhere that the two had seen each other earlier when Ulay came to the opening of the exhibit.  So I guess it's possible that the emotion is more acting than reality, but I was touched just the same.  Knowing the back-story helped.  I certainly don't get the piece itself, but I do get the moment they shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment