Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Beautiful Day

The scattered gray patches of snow were the last reminders of the five inches of precipitation that fell and created havoc on my city last Monday.  That was the lion roaring his way into March.  Today the lamb shook out the sun and blue skies as temperatures climbed into the upper 50s.

I pulled my bike out of the closet and headed out on the local trail that runs parallel to the Potomac.  I stayed on the Virginia side today, starting at the Washington Sailing Marina and pedaling southwest towards Crystal City in search of a new sportsplex a parent mentioned to me yesterday.  It didn't take more than 15 minutes to get there so I biked around a bit and checked out the new, expensive sport fields and watched as parents cheered on athletes of all ages and skill levels.

With a bit more energy in my tank I headed back towards Old Town.  I smiled as I caught a glimpse of a  sailing class of 420s zigzagging around the choppy water.  Further down the path I stopped for a stretch and enjoyed the show being put on by a young child as he threw breadcrumbs into the mouths of a swirling flock of loud, hungry gulls.

Buds burst from the bare branches above my head.

Coming soon...springtime in Washington.  I am ready and waiting.

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely example of setting! I am inspired to write my daily slice of life about the weather in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful descriptions! I felt like I was on the ride with you. I especially like the lion and lamb metaphors in the first paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely descriptions that for me, bring back poignant memories. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the alliteration of "Buds burst from the bare branches..." We are blogging from the same vicinity!! I work in D.C., live in Silver Spring. Yes, we have had a gift of a day - may there be many more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DC in the spring is on my short list of places to go! Would love to see the cherry trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, Mary! I love the vision of the lamb shaking out the sun and blue skies. (Next time, take me with you!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also ready for spring to arrive! Thanks for sharing your bike ride today. I enjoyed reading and visualizing everything.

    ReplyDelete