Friday, February 27, 2015

Friday Night Lights

The smell of smoke arrived at my nose at just about the same time the distant roar of sirens hit my ears.  Within moments the aroma of smoke was so strong that I ran to the back window to make sure the fire wasn't in my backyard or even in my very own house.

I don't like the gawker types but before long my curiosity got the best of me so I slip on my black clogs, grabbed my coat, and headed out the door.   Red and blue lights lit up the horizon, illuminating the smoke-filled sky.  My senses led me down the street to an intersection filled with fire equipment in every direction.  Even from my vantage point at the top of the stairs it was hard to tell exactly where the fire was.  No matter where I looked there was some sort of emergency vehicle.  An equally interested neighbor filled me in.  The house in question was just up the hill.

"Best not to get any closer," he suggested.  "There's no need for us to muck up the works."

I agreed.

So now as I sit on my cozy little couch with the smell of smoke in the air I'm thankful that all is good here in my house.  I also hope and pray that those neighbors down the way will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment