Monday, March 4, 2019

Aunt Mary

I can't really look at the date March 4 without thinking of my great aunt, Mary Grace Bryan.  She was born in 1900 and died in 1984.  As a kid I always thought it was cool that she was born in 1900- it just made it that much easier to figure out how old she was each year.

This morning I stared at the date, March 4, 2019, and thought, Wow, Aunt Mary would be 119 years old.

And then, in the midst of the chaos of a 6th grade homeroom, I took a minute to think of her.  I thought about the warm Cream of Wheat she would make for us, the best tuna salad ever that came out of her kitchen and the Kool cigarettes she used to smoke.

Finally, I thought of the last words she ever spoke..."I love you."

I smiled and than returned my thoughts to the group of 15 students before me.

5 comments:

  1. Just beautiful. I love how glancing at the calendar can completely change what is going on in our minds, if only for a moment. Your aunt sounds like a special person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful. I love how glancing at the calendar can completely change what is going on in our minds, if only for a moment. Your aunt sounds like a special person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you honor her as the amazing "Aunt Mary" you are, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best last words I've ever read. This is such
    a sweet tribute--it's clear her legacy of love lives on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gulp - this was heartfelt. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete