Friday, March 22, 2019

Hopeful

The March Writing Challenge, part 1 of the 100-day writing challenge, offers me a nice glimpse into the lives of my students.  I hear a bit about sports activities, new babies, annoying siblings, and assorted pets.  Twenty-two days into March I keep seeing the same idea over and over in my students' writing.  They are tired.  They are sleeping through alarms.  They are scrambling to get ready in less than 7 minutes just to get a little more sleep.  The rate at which they write about their exhaustion is really quite alarming.

I feel for them.  For the first time in a while, I worked an entire 5-day work week.  There was no early-release schedule, no 2-hour delay schedule, nor were there any pre-scheduled doctor's appointments.  Monday seems like a month ago and with Spring Break still 3 weeks away it's hard to imagine how we're all going to look come April 12.

We'll make it though, I have no doubt. Hopefully, we'll return on April 22 feeling rested and ready to finish the last 8 weeks of school with a new store of energy.

This Friday I am hopeful, but just like my students, I am also dang tired.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you and your students-- it sure has been a crazy winter. "Monday seems like a month ago and with Spring Break still 3 weeks away" captures it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reminder that only there are only eight weeks after break is certainly comforting. Push on through, and summer will be within reach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your point about how much students are writing about their exhaustion is very interesting. I'm wondering if this is more of a problem across the country -

    ReplyDelete