Saturday, March 24, 2012

Checking In

I caught up with an old friend yesterday.  We arrived in this area at about the same time and met one another through our low-level government jobs at the Smithsonian's Office of Personnel.  That was about 25 years ago. 

Both of us realized pretty quickly that our future was not in personnel management and moved on to other careers.  We pursued different interests but our friendship remained strong.

We don't spend as much time together as we did in our twenties, but we make an effort to get together at least two or three times a year.  Of course, there are also times when we just can't get our schedules to jive.  Just yesterday I realized it had been over three weeks since my friend had called me, and to I had yet to return that call.

It happens, the day to day stuff takes up time and then when I remember I need to check in with my friend I realize that it's probably too late to call.

No matter, eventually the call gets made and we pick up right where we left off 3 or 4 months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment