Monday, March 19, 2018

Easy-Peasy

I spent the day with 225 sixth graders at George Washington's Mount Vernon estate. Living so close to a plethora of historic sights is certainly a perk of living in the DC area.  Needless to say, I've planned, or been a part of, many field trips to places like the Smithsonian Institution, the National Gallery, the Washington Monument and Mount Vernon.  Anyone who has ever planned a field trip for a larger number of students and chaperones knows the tasks of creating groups, organizing parent volunteers, reserving busses and keeping watch over students can be exhausting. 

Apparently, one of our students didn't quite see it that way.

"So, you teachers have a pretty easy day, right?" he asked.

My colleague responded with a confused look.

"Yea," he continued, "you get a day at Mount Vernon and don't have to teach any classes."

The reading teacher answered with a laugh and a challenge. "When you're older, you should volunteer to take a group of middle school kids on a field trip."

"I think I will." He responded.

It's nice to know we make it look so easy.

3 comments:

  1. I find field trips exhausting. Not even the logistics, which are daunting, but the nervous energy I spend on the what ifs. Envy you your location for field trips, but not weather;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a field trip, children, you may begin.

    Yeah, that's how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite places for a field trip! Still...not easy. :)

    ReplyDelete