Sunday, March 28, 2021

A Repost from the Past

I know this is a repost but I'm in the land of not much internet so for today I post this memory:

We never called it "Spring Break" when I was in school-- it was always Easter Vacation.  Spring Break was something that happened in college.  Even so, I was never one of those crazy college kids that packed themselves into someone's iffy vehicle for the 26-hour drive to Florida.

 

Well, I did head to Orlando with my parents one year during college.  My dad had a meeting that way and since I was off anyway I ended up there with my parents.  Luckily, a friend from college was staying nearby with his uncle so we planned to meet up one day for a little beach time together.

 

I'm not sure of all the details, but I do remember Donny and I headed out from his uncle's house with fun on our minds and a few cold beers in the car.  We laughed and drank as we headed toward New Smyrna Beach.

 

At one point, Donny noted a car to our left. 

 

"Look at the nice Florida lady, Mary!  She's waving to us."

 

I glanced to my left and immediately did a double-take.

 

"Uhhh, that's no nice Florida lady...that's my mother!"

 

In a second the beers that had been in our hand were gone.   We met up with my mother and sister at the beach a few miles later.  Apparently, someone overheard our plan and thought it was good enough for them as well.

 

Unfortunately, Donny died about ten years later.  To this day, I can't think about Spring Break without thinking about him.


2 comments:

  1. This is a great story--quite worthy of revisiting. The surprise of "That's my mother!" takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way. That is hilarious, a great memory of your friend and the “nice Florida lady.”

    ReplyDelete