Wednesday, March 16, 2016

I Like Ike!

Can I just give a shout out to my local grocery guy Ike?  On a day when I was definitely feeling blah and overwhelmed with life the last thing I wanted to do on the way home was stop at the store. Unfortunately, the lack of half and half for my morning coffee meant I was in a grocery emergency. With a short list scribbled on the back of a torn receipt I willed my way through the aisles to resupply my food stores.  There wasn't much of a crowd early this afternoon so by the time I made my way to the checkout line I was feeling strangely zen.  It was so quiet inside the Giant I found myself wandering aimlessly just happy to be someplace where no one demanded anything from me.

I spied my guy Ike waiting for customers at an empty checkout line.  He greeted me, just like he always does,  with a wide smile and a "How are you young lady?  Did you find everything you need?"

He noticed the beer on the conveyor belt and inquired about my age.  Just like he always does.  After ringing up my total of $89.16 he laughed and announced, "That will be 89 thousand dollars!"

Just like he always does.

As I turned to leave Ike gave me a wink before adding, "See you tomorrow!"

Just like he always does.

Thanks Ike, for always being an expected friendly face.   You were exactly what I needed today.

4 comments:

  1. These kinds of interactions are all too rare nowadays. There used to be a Giant grocery store near my house when I was in high school. It was so much like the A&P in John Updike's short story. It was like a place frozen in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the comfort of this piece and of Ike. You are very lucky to have a place like this, like a grocery Cheers you can call your own> Thanks for a lovely read. (A & P...the memories I have of that place!)maribethbatcho

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the repetition of "Just like he always does" in this piece. I think it contributes to the comfort that you convey. I also love that you were wandering aimlessly, and no one was there making demands on you. So relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your slice about Ike. I bet he would enjoy knowing that you wrote about him and shared it with an online audience. We need more Ikes in our lives.

    ReplyDelete