Sunday, March 18, 2018

An Unlikely Choice

I awoke Saturday morning to 46 text messages.  Scrolling through the back and forth chatter on a family group text the surprising events of Friday night went from confusion to clarity.  Yes, many people around the world would be waking up disappointed in Virginia's loss to a little known16th seeded team from Maryland. 

Basketball.  It's all about college basketball.

My family has enjoyed filling out brackets together for many years.  There is no prize money involved, but there is always bragging rights for the year if one's bracket comes out with the most wins.

Men's basketball has never witnessed a 16th seeded team taking down a number one seed.  So it's unlikely that anyone would have chosen the team from University of Maryland Baltimore County to win.  My dad is an unlikely kind of guy.  His strategy for filling out his bracket is simple- pick the local teams and Jesuit colleges.  Thanks to his trusty algorithm, he now sits at the top of the heap in our bracket challenge. 

Way to go, Grandpa!


5 comments:

  1. I am currently watching the MSU vs. Syracuse game. I am an MSU fan and think I am about to get sick. It is so nerve wrecking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Grandpa! I like his strategy! I cannot imagine 46 text messages. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got to appreciate a method. We family bracketed many years. I’m not sure why we skipped this year. Time I supposed. I’m sad though. I like to have a little skin in each game. My oldest son chose Cieginia to go to the finals. I would have never done that. Big 10all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading your post! I don't do sports brackets, so I get a kick out of other's reactions to huge upsets. By the the way, I have a friend who uses team colors as the main factor in filling out her bracket. She usually does really well. Go figure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me smile. Who would have thought? Hope Villanova carries us through to #1!

    ReplyDelete