Thursday, March 8, 2018

Welcome to the Team

It's a mere two weeks until Spring Break and all my colleagues and I can do is talk about the very small possibility that Sunday may bring a snowstorm, and in turn (hopefully) a snow day on Monday.

My grade level team at school has worked together for quite awhile.  Science teacher Alex, Social Studies teacher Anne and I have been together for 12 years. Special Ed teacher Starr came on board a year after I started so the four of us have been together for 11 years.  As our working relationships have developed so have friendships.  We've celebrated the good things like a wedding, graduations, babies, and grandchildren.  We've also helped one another through the tough times that come with divorce and sickness.  I consider myself lucky to have such a great team of people to work with each day.

One other thing we've come to share is our love of winter weather forecasts.  We're serious about the winter weather.  The run of the mill local news forecast just won't do for us.  Our weather trust goes to only one outlet- the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang.  We don't ask about the possibility of snow.  Oh no, that's just silly.  We prefer to throw around terms like the European Model or the NAM.

Today as we chatted at lunch about the upcoming storm our new math teacher threw in her two cents worth.

"I was looking last night and I really like the look of the European model."

"Oh my god, Kelly," Alex smiled, "If you start talking about the GFS I may scream with joy. You are definitely on the right team!"


4 comments:

  1. Every team needs at least one weather geek—you hit the jackpot with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make sure Walter sees this one! I loved your description of your team, Mary!

    ReplyDelete