Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Music Teacher and More

Class Pets.  That's one thing they don't teach you about in graduate school.  I suppose if I am considered responsible enough to spend all day in front of a group of 10-year-olds certainly I should be able to handle 2 gerbils as class pets.

Should be, but a teacher shouldn't have to walk in early one morning to find one gerbil going all cannibalistic on the other gerbil.  My family- we weren't really "pet people".  (See Praying Mantis story for more on that.) So when I happened upon the utterly disgusting sight a mere 20 minutes before my students were to arrive I was at a loss for what to do.  I mean, I knew what I needed to do- I just wasn't sure if I could do it.

The thought of reaching into the tank to snag the partially eaten mammal was more than I could stomach.  So there I stood, peering into the gerbil habitat, my stomach churning and my right eye wrinkled in disgust.  I may have stood there for the next 19 minutes praying for a miracle if the music teacher hadn't walked in right when I needed her.

"Mary," she interrupted, "I need to talk to you about changing the kids' music schedule today."

"Cora Lee, you can do whatever you want.  Change the schedule in any way you please, if you will just remove this dead gerbil from the cage."

And with that request, the music teacher grabbed a paper towel from the sink, plunged her hand into the tank, and plucked out one limp, chewed-on gerbil.

She must have noticed the shudder that went through my body.  Sensing my surprise at her quick action she responded, "I have a farm.  Dead animals are not a problem for me."

I had always been amazed at the way Cora Lee got a group of 5th graders to make music, good music, from a collection of glass bottles.  After that morning I was amazed by another talent of hers as well.


4 comments:

  1. Go Cora Lee! I am glad she came in when she did. I am surprised that your district allows class pets. With all of the allergies that kids have nowadays, my district does not allow any pets in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could NOT remove the dead gerbil. We are hatching chicks in a few weeks and I hope they all live! I Can't handle dead animals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you rename the gerbil cannibal Dexter? That was my first thought. Second one: I see a children's story in this story. Title: Donner Gerbil Family Feast. Finally, I had an image of a kid in my TA w/ a hickey on his neck, which is the high school equivalent of kinda going cannibalistic.

    Anyway, this is a very funny story. I think class pets make me happy to teach teens.

    ReplyDelete