Friday, March 2, 2018

Marching In With A Roar

March roared into town overnight.  The howling winds, with gusts in excess of 50 mph, tested the root strength of the large tree outside of my bedroom window.  I listened from the relative safety of my bed as dry leaves swirled and distant wind chimes rang frantically.  Needless to say, it was a restless sleep.

My 5:00 AM wake-up time came much too soon, but fortunately the sound of the early alarm also brought a change of luck.  Schools were closed today, meaning there would be no classes for high school students and no parent-teacher conferences for the rest of us.  With a smile on my face, I rolled over and watched the sway of the branches at the top of that old tree until I fell back to sleep. 

The wind continued to blow and gust throughout the day.  Thankfully, the tree out back stayed in place and the power stayed on, making this unexpected day off a nice start to the weekend.
 

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy your relaxing start to the long weekend! More time to reflect about conferences, dinner, and life. Get that tree looked at to be sure it's safe and strong! 🌲 I'm here in the Northeast with the wind howling hoping peace remains...with the electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your first sentence. I live where the wind gusts roar 50-60 mph around the SW corner of the house, so I empathize with your sleepless night. Glad you were safe and have a long weekend, too. Stolen moments--nothing sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The images of dry leaves and wind chimes really capture the feeling of restless sleep. Nice!

    ReplyDelete