Sunday, March 25, 2018

Porch Time

I sat, this evening, on a friend's porch- gliding on the swing that was hoisted on a chain overlooking the culdesac.  Closing my eyes I was taken back to my grandmother's screened-in front porch down in the country- the one where we all hung out each evening after a long summer day.

Back then my grandmother would pay me 25 cents to rub her tired feet.  The adults would talk about this and that.  As a child I would do my best to earn my quarters, all the while listening to the grownups talk about Watergate, Nixon and everything else that went over my head

Tonight, as I waited for a friend to bring me a cold beer,  I sat in silence. I gazed at the moonlit sky and blinked the tears away- my adult-self still feeling very much like a little girl, missing her granny.

2 comments:

  1. This is so poignant - The last line is so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny was a real shaper of who you are. Hope the beer was as sweet as the memory!

    ReplyDelete