Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reality Check

Today's reality moment came in the midst of an exhibit at the Smithsonian Institution titled, "America on the Move." The exhibit highlighted how transportation has changed in America over the years. Among the things on display were a 1903 Winton, the first car to make the drive across the USA. There was also a car from Chicago's famed "L" system as well as a portion of the cross-country Route 66. There was a lot to see and with time running out on the meter my group and I moved through the exhibit pretty swiftly. Until I saw the small Honda Civic--it was of the first generation, from the year 1975. I stopped for a moment and shook my head with a laugh.

"I went to my senior prom in a car just like that." I offered.

"And now it's in the Smithsonian," my sister replied. "I'd say that makes you old."

I guess so, but it's nice to know we were driving around in a "classic" car...even if we didn't know it at the time.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Smithsonian! Our family went and our kids were also taken aback that things from mom's and dad's childhood were in a museum. Classic indeed!
    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete