Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday Smiles

Two things made me smile today. They were pretty insignificant events but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I was waiting at a stoplight this afternoon, watching the cars go by, when I noticed an older man-probably somewhere in his 60s-making his way across the street. He moved with purpose, taking long strides with head held high as he looked forward. But then, in the middle of the crosswalk, he took a stutter-step and came to a stop. He bent down to pick something up off the ground, some kind of coin I assumed. He took a closer look at the side facing him, smiled a put it in his pocket before continuing on his way with a small smile on his face. It was then I knew what he had found...heads up...good luck.

I thought about that little moment during my short commute home-how something so small and insignificant can brighten the day. And then my little moment arrived. I stepped out of the car and found a rubber band on the sidewalk. It was just a rubber band-no big deal. I took a second look and noticed it had fallen to the ground in the shape of a heart. It was my turn to smile.

2 comments:

  1. What a superb recreation of a small observation that made you smile! It made me smile, too! What a great reminder to me to pay attention to the small but significant things I see every day that make me smile.

    Thanks!

    -Carrie F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your stories. The way you set it up made it such a pleasure to see what was going to happen, & then the coin, finally the 'heart'. Nice to smile about this!

    ReplyDelete